Completion day coming up? Follow these steps to ensure a smooth completion.
- Ensure you have the total balance of funds available to cover the balance of your purchase price, and legal fees ready in your account.
- If you are buying a freehold property, it is important that your buildings insurance is placed on risk immediately following exchange. If you are buying a shared ownership home this will not be necessary.
- If you decide to use a removal company, it is essential that you secure your removal date and confirm the arrival time and final arrangements with your removal company including directions or postcode of your new property and any access issues.
- Change your address details. You may consider having your post redirected for an initial period.
- Make a list of contact details for the day so you have these easily to hand, ie solicitors, estate agent, developer or housing association.
- Ensure your mobile is fully charged in readiness for the day of completion so you are contactable.
- On the morning of completion, make a note of all meter readings at your new property once you arrive. Notify the relevant utility companies of your arrival and the date – at that date you become liable to cover the bill.
The above article is for guidance only and does not constitute legal advice. Relevant law applicable as at date of publication only.